Thursday, 5 April 2012

The 12 Things US Revenue Managers Are Talking About Right Now


We’ve just concluded our research to prepare for TDS North America, and these are the top discussions we’ve been having with our huge network of revenue managers. Do you agree, or have we overlooked anything?

1. Getting your ancillary strategy spot on. Anyone who thinks this topic doesn’t belong (in part) to revenue managers is wrong. Revenue managers across the world are working hard to use the data available to them in house to truly revenue manage ancillary services, and are preparing to use that data to forecast future ancillary spend.

2. On the flipside- how to increase revenue by rate alone. Competition never decreases, so 2012 is the year to balance competitive advantage and real profit increase, without damaging the consumer conception of your brand.

3. A rocky economy. How do you forecast for an uncertain year, particularly in Europe?

4. Hotels! Group pricing and meeting space optimisation. It’s not there yet (I know, I’m an events organiser). We’ll be watching closely what happens in Vegas over the next 12 months for tips and tricks on this at our next revenue management conference.

5. Better segmentation. Why, oh why, is this woeful subject back in our minds? Revenue managers are telling me their segmentation strategy hasn’t been looked at or redeveloped in months/years. So which segments have the greatest demand and potential now (not two years ago?)

6. No Budging on the Budget. budget restrictions and cutbacks mean working out a better way to revenue manage. Options for this and why they might or might not work for you (including clustering).

7. The changing role of the revenue manager. a nostalgic look back, and a prospective foot forward to what the role really means, and how you need to react to keep moving upwards.

8. All the single ladies. Revenue managing an individual property- either within a chain or as an independent. Revenue managing with a distressed budget and dealing with a non RM focused CEO.

9. How do customer reviews impact price? Data scoring your reviews against your room or package rate.

10. All that glitters isn’t gold. Marketers, show us the true value of social media, mobile and website re-design- how can they actually make money, and what’s the honest ROI?

11. Mobile & money. Is it acceptable to have different pricing tiers depending on the platform the customer is using (ie, desktop, ipad or mobile) and is this even legal?

12. Distressed inventory- how are models like HotelTonight going to change the pricing model we have with third parties?

Have a different opinion? Tweet to me at @rosieakenhead or find me on linkedin and drop me a message, I’d love to hear your feedback.

Rosie Akenhead
Director of Events and Industry Analysis
EyeforTravel, London, UK
Direct Line: 0044 207 375 7229 (UK)
US Toll Free: 800 814 3459 ext. 7229

13 comments:

  1. All great topics of conversation! Great list, Rosie :) Hope to see you again at a place like Vegas - and hope especially that #4 improves for you!

    Jenn Seeley
    Community Engagement - Radian6

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually enjoyed reading through this posting.Many thanks.


    Revenue Management

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that was a really healthy dialogue right there. Gets your blood pumping really fast and strong. Thanks a lot for sharing this with us. fitnashealth

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing this great article! That is very interesting Smile I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this technology

    ReplyDelete
  5. Revenue management is a theory, an act and a process that involves predicting consumer behavior and making decisions to maximize revenue in an organization. Many types of businesses use Revenue management , and it is designed for businesses to obtain the highest possible amount of revenue , every day through strategic planning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think nothing has overloaded here and all the things described here are almost equally important for Revenue Management except forecasting. In my views that is the most important one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got all your points about the revenue management and Revenue managers across the world are working hard to use the data available to them in house to truly revenue manage ancillary services, and are preparing to use that data to forecast future ancillary spend.read more

    ReplyDelete
  8. You actually make it look so easy with your performance but I find this matter to be actually something which I think I would never comprehend. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it! http://www.bestcustomwriting.com/blog/dissertation-writing/dissertation-writing-as-the-final-stage-of-your-studying

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yea, that is awesome, We prolonged weren't able to start to see the web page over the conclusion, and also that they did not counter-top ptomu the blogger up for grabs very little overall, you need to persuade your family members and a touch too relocated and also recognized, thank's.
    buy research paper Mississippi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am quite sure they will learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else!....There is also a lot of visual symbolism that is sometimes subtle, sometimes not so subtle.. Low Cost Tile Delivery

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're thus cool! i do not assume I've browse something like this before. thus sensible to seek out someone with some original thoughts on this subject. Thanks for beginning this up. Glass Tiles

    ReplyDelete
  12. Exceptional article I really like ones document love the method that you identified as much as possible, you do a terrific task lots of other folks like you as a result of which kind of helpful information sites present attention to help us in connection with lots of things. We study another intriguing information sites from the websites as well as I'm a great deal curious using your running a blog abilities, I in addition started to generate blogs and this also sort blogs actually guide me personally away. I by now book marked your own web page along with shared your websites to my own friends not just me but every one of them like your own blogs abilities, expect anyone create more interesting sites this way one particular as well as all the best on your potential sites.

    Jimmy Wilson from Smallville Leather Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  13. This tutorial rocks, I feel like I am back in school again. These instructions worked in my browser, I wonder if it will get easier for me now to get the case study help I found here. I've been searching for it for so long.
    Como Recorrer Multa

    Modelo de Recurso de Multa

    ReplyDelete